Cabin windows finished !

April 6, 2018

The design calls for screwed down windows, but I don’t like that solution. Instead I want to glue them in a rabbet. The outside of the window is then about flush with the outside of the hull. Determining the size of the intended windows, also a little different from plans, was a challenge to get it right. Finally I found out that I get the best appearance when the length halfway the height of the window is about the same for all three windows. The glazing material is smoke grey acrylic. The windows are curved in two directions and I prefer to make them pre-curved instead of pressing them in the right curve. So, first thing is to make a mold with the right curve in it. I did this by infusing a sandwich panel against the outside of the cabin wall. I outsourced the windows to a local specialized company,  de bootruitenspecialist. They used my molds to make the acrylic in the right shape. The result is fabulous and the windows fit perfectly.

20180314_180128_450

The acrylic has a black primer edge for UV protection and a sleek appearance.

20180317_143802_450

The assembly is done with VHB tape and the pane is pushed into the correct position with the help of a few temporary guide blocks.

20180317_150700_450

Work in progress !

20180318_135936_450

Vacuum bag to provide the right pressure along all edges.

20180325_104119_450

The edges sealed with a Bostic sealant.

20180325_104215_450

I am very happy with the result.

For more images see the cabin window photo gallery.

Advertisements

Unfinished business

March 8, 2017

While I was looking for an image of the infusion around the daggerboard case, I discovered that the photo gallery about the deck laminate and vacuum infusion has not been finished. Sorry about that. I now have added a lot of photo’s about that event.

You can find the gallery here.

After I had turned the hull I wanted to quickly begin fairing work on the deck and in the cockpit. Yet there were still some details that need to be completed.

In the previous post I have described the work around the deck hatches. The photo’s are here.

Furthermore moreover:

20170304_133850_1000450

After installing the engine I definite closed the cockpit floor. If it’s ever necessary to lift the engine again I will have to cut out a new hole with the jigsaw.

20170114_163309_1000_450

Shaped the cockpit coaming ….

20170304_133822_1000450

…. finished the laminate on the cockpit coaming in front of the beam bulkhead and released the upper folding strut recess in the aft beam bulkhead.

20170114_163333_1000_450

20170114_172902_1000_450

The same for the forward beam bulkhead. Until now this recess has been closed off for the purpose of the vacuum infusion of the external laminate.

20170304_133710_1000_450

Completing the ending of the cabin roof.

20170304_133656_1000_450

Completing the inside of the bridge deck, designing a system to store the two acrylic washboards inside the bridge deck and mounting a molded glasfibre U-section for the washboards.

20170305_181149_1000_450

Completed the base for the sliding hatch.

20170304_133547_1000_450

External laminate for the anchor chain tube.

20170304_133623_1000_450

20170219_130747_1000_450

Determining window size, making the molds for them and completing the window cut outs.

Furthermore, making a mold to find back all the HD inserts in the deck which will be covered by paint and thus not visible anymore, finishing the forestay chainplate, finding back and finishing all drain holes, etc, etc.

But finally all these details (at starboard side, there is still a port side to do) are completed now and I finally could start the fairing process for cockpit, deck and cabin roof.

20170305_181535_1000_450

20170305_181447_1000_450

… to be continued …

 


%d bloggers like this: