August 1, 2018
Easter 2018 was a great moment. More than 10.000 building hours has resulted in the launching of Fram. Although she was ready to sail independently, much still needs to be done. The interior has yet to be finished, just like the beams, the technical installations and of course the rigging. Fram is now floating in our backyard which makes it more comfortable to do most of the remaining jobs.
Click here for an extensive photo report of Fram’s move from workshop to her home port.
April 6, 2018
I have been very busy during the past year and this was the reason for the few updates of this blog and my website.
Sorry about that.
But the result was worth it. During Easter I cleared the workshop and moved the boat ……………………….
More about that later 🙂 🙂 🙂
April 6, 2018
The design calls for screwed down windows, but I don’t like that solution. Instead I want to glue them in a rabbet. The outside of the window is then about flush with the outside of the hull. Determining the size of the intended windows, also a little different from plans, was a challenge to get it right. Finally I found out that I get the best appearance when the length halfway the height of the window is about the same for all three windows. The glazing material is smoke grey acrylic. The windows are curved in two directions and I prefer to make them pre-curved instead of pressing them in the right curve. So, first thing is to make a mold with the right curve in it. I did this by infusing a sandwich panel against the outside of the cabin wall. I outsourced the windows to a local specialized company, de bootruitenspecialist. They used my molds to make the acrylic in the right shape. The result is fabulous and the windows fit perfectly.
The acrylic has a black primer edge for UV protection and a sleek appearance.
The assembly is done with VHB tape and the pane is pushed into the correct position with the help of a few temporary guide blocks.
Work in progress !
Vacuum bag to provide the right pressure along all edges.
The edges sealed with a Bostic sealant.
I am very happy with the result.
For more images see the cabin window photo gallery.
February 14, 2018
Three hulls coming together in three exciting moments.
The first one, aligning the lower folding struts with each other and in square relation to the mainhull. The distance difference between the for and aft lower folding strut at the inner end and the outer end is 6mm. on Starboard and 2mm. on Port. This means that the alignement of the carbon folding anchors in the mainhull is quite good. A great achievement and kind of reassuring for the next steps.
The second one, first trial of the folding system. It works great !
The third one, the final assembly of my trimaran. The transformation of three hulls and four beams into a boat is the climax of the construction. Finally everything comes together and leads to the trimaran I dreamed of. It is definitely a highlight of the construction so far. Although seeing her full beam for the first time is a bit intimidating …
You can find much more photos in this gallery.
And this and this video on my youtube channel
February 12, 2018
See the latest update of the Fairing and Painting Photo Gallery.
October 21, 2017
It’s been a long time since we hung the first float under the roof, followed by the second one. All those years they have collected only dust but now they can come down again.
Something has changed.
The port float is hanging above and behind the boat. To bring down the port float I first had to make room next to the boat. The boat has to slide sideways to create ample maneuver space for the forklift. With the help of two pallet jacks the boat easily slides sideways.
With a makeshift boat-stand clamped to the forklift I carefully lifted the float, unscrewed the tensioning straps the floats were hanging in and bring it down. However, maneuvering with forklift and boat only takes one way. The port float is still looking in the wrong direction but turning is not possible because of lacking space. The workshop crane brings the solution.
In the free space somewhere in the middle of the workshop height, I can turn the boat in the right direction and bring it back to the position at the port side of the center hull.
The other float is much easier to reach and is already hanging in the right direction. There is still not enough maneuvering space for the forklift but taking it over by the workshop crane brings the float to its position at the starboard side of the center hull.
After all the dust has been removed, the first work is putting the floats upside down for applying the Coppercoat anti-foul.
October 16, 2017
Now the beams are finished (fairings still to do but on a later moment) it becomes high time to finish the paintwork on the outside of the hull.
See the updated gallery for the latest photos.
While the boat is still lying at an angle to the ground this is also a good moment to provide the hull with 5 layers of Coppercoat. First the port half and after turning the boat on her other side the starboard half.
And finally the time has come to break down the temporary insulation shed …
and show Fram in her fullest glory 🙂