Houston, we have a problem …

December 1, 2015

Dsc00015_450

In this stage of the build the rudder connection fits nicely.

Dsc00045_450

Before closing of the rudder connection compartment I did a final check at mounting possibilities of the tiller ….. and discovered my miscalculation.

Dsc00052_450

Off course I knew that the connecting bolt would not fit through the tiller opening, but I overlooked that the internal height of the rudder connection compartment is also not high enough for the length of the bolt (4″) to mount the tiller to the lever shaft.

Dsc00047_450

After a brief internal consideration my solution is a small recessed pit that gives space to the connection bolt. No drama furthermore.

IMG_1346_450

The cardboard core of a toilet roll proved to be a fine (“quick&dirty” easy to remove) mold for making a small pit with flange for mounting underneath the rudder connection compartment.

IMG_1344_450

And this is how that looks, still in trial fit stage.

Dsc00049_450

View from above with the connection bolt in the pit. I made a plug to close off the pit after mounting the bolt.

Dsc00087_450

The transmission steering system is now finished and the transom is definitely closed. The access to the rudder connection compartment is from inside trough a small hatch.

You can find the latest update of the photo gallery here.


Preparations for the deck laminate.

July 22, 2012

Now is the time to think very seriously about the deck lay-out. During the whole build I have been pondering with a few different options about rigging and hardware.

A deck stepped boom resolves the problem caused by lines (reefing lines, outhaul, mainsheet) coming from the boom and interfere with mast rotation. I made a mock-up to see how big of a problem this is and also studied a lot of photo’s of the big 60′ Orma Tri’s. My conclusion is that it is not worth the extra trouble and the interference with mast rotation can be minimized by making the line exit in the boom a little more aft of the mast. So the boom will be mounted to the mast “the normal way” with the advantage that the boom induces the mast rotation.

I can see the advantages of the self tacking jib. However, there are some complications. The track crossing the daggerboardcase interferes with the daggerboard and the length of the track is limited by the folding movement of the beam. Nevertheless (I’m getting older and looking for more sailing comfort) I have decided to go for the self tacking jib and I assume that I am able to resolve this in the finishing phase of the build.

Furthermore I decided to make a curved track for the mainsail sheet traveler. Probably the traveler will be extended to the beams, but this is also of later concern. The mainsail sheet goes to the winch on the port side of the cabin roof.

And finally I have designed a plan to organize all running rigging from mast to the winches on the cabin roof.  With the above starting points and the running rigging plan I am now able to put in all high density foam inserts in all these places where hardware will be bolted down.

Click for photo galery


Hardware folder.

December 13, 2005

I’ve added some more photo’s in the hardware folder


%d bloggers like this: