Houston, we have a problem …

December 1, 2015

Dsc00015_450

In this stage of the build the rudder connection fits nicely.

Dsc00045_450

Before closing of the rudder connection compartment I did a final check at mounting possibilities of the tiller ….. and discovered my miscalculation.

Dsc00052_450

Off course I knew that the connecting bolt would not fit through the tiller opening, but I overlooked that the internal height of the rudder connection compartment is also not high enough for the length of the bolt (4″) to mount the tiller to the lever shaft.

Dsc00047_450

After a brief internal consideration my solution is a small recessed pit that gives space to the connection bolt. No drama furthermore.

IMG_1346_450

The cardboard core of a toilet roll proved to be a fine (“quick&dirty” easy to remove) mold for making a small pit with flange for mounting underneath the rudder connection compartment.

IMG_1344_450

And this is how that looks, still in trial fit stage.

Dsc00049_450

View from above with the connection bolt in the pit. I made a plug to close off the pit after mounting the bolt.

Dsc00087_450

The transmission steering system is now finished and the transom is definitely closed. The access to the rudder connection compartment is from inside trough a small hatch.

You can find the latest update of the photo gallery here.


%d bloggers like this: