Cabin windows finished !

The design calls for screwed down windows, but I don’t like that solution. Instead I want to glue them in a rabbet. The outside of the window is then about flush with the outside of the hull. Determining the size of the intended windows, also a little different from plans, was a challenge to get it right. Finally I found out that I get the best appearance when the length halfway the height of the window is about the same for all three windows. The glazing material is smoke grey acrylic. The windows are curved in two directions and I prefer to make them pre-curved instead of pressing them in the right curve. So, first thing is to make a mold with the right curve in it. I did this by infusing a sandwich panel against the outside of the cabin wall. I outsourced the windows to a local specialized company,  de bootruitenspecialist. They used my molds to make the acrylic in the right shape. The result is fabulous and the windows fit perfectly.

20180314_180128_450

The acrylic has a black primer edge for UV protection and a sleek appearance.

20180317_143802_450

The assembly is done with VHB tape and the pane is pushed into the correct position with the help of a few temporary guide blocks.

20180317_150700_450

Work in progress !

20180318_135936_450

Vacuum bag to provide the right pressure along all edges.

20180325_104119_450

The edges sealed with a Bostic sealant.

20180325_104215_450

I am very happy with the result.

For more images see the cabin window photo gallery.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: